Date of the first known document mentioning a monastery at Saint-Michel de Frigolet
Notre-Dame de Frigolet (Our Lady of Frigolet) is now referred to as "Notre-Dame du Bon Remède" (Our Lady of Good Remedy). It is during this period that the chapel was richly decorated in the Baroque style.
The monastery at Frigolet is closed as a result of the French Revolution.
As a child, from 1839 to 1841, the legendary French writer and lexicographer of the Occitan language attends school as M. Donat's establishment at Saint-Michel de Frigolet.
Father Edmond Boulbon founds a Norbertine community at Frigolet with several disciples.
Inauguration of the neo-Gothic abbey church, built over and around the original chapel of Our Lady of Good Remedy.
The community receives the official title of "abbey". Father Edmond is the first abbot..
Frigolet founds a priory at Conques (in the Aveyron region), where the relics of Saint Faith had recently been found after being hidden during the French Revolution and which had again become a pilgrimage destination.
The French government closes the abbey as a result of anti-clerical laws. French military troops forcibly remove the community as a result of the infamous "Frigolet siege". Forced into exile in England, the community founds Storrington Priory. After several years, the community returns to Frigolet.
As a result of new anti-clerical laws, the state confiscates the abbey buildings and forces the community into exile again. This time, the friars go to Leffe (Dinant), Belgium. Around 1922 they discretely return to Frigolet.
In honor of Our Lady of Good Remedy and in light of the number of pilgrims coming regulary to Frigolet, Pope John Paul II raises the abbey church to the status of basilica..
The abbey launches a significant program of construction works to renovate part of the monastery.
Interested in religious history in the south of France ?
Then you should know about the "C.E.H.R.M., Centre d'Etude et d'Histoire Religieuse Méridionale". The C.E.H.R.M. is a non-profit organization that brings together university historians and students with impassioned amateurs from all walks of life.