12th Century

Religious life at Frigolet can be traced back to the beginning of Christian history. A well established commuity of 13 canons is first mentioned in writing in a testament dated 1133. The prior's name was Guillaume de Loubières.

This community, probably canons regular of the Order of St. Augustine and dressed in plain white habits just like today's residents, built was is today the heart of the monastery: the cloisters and Saint-Michel church.

The function of this monastery was to provide an isolated location for spiritual contemplation and to serve the sanctuary dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, venerated as Our Lady of Frigolet. The walls of the current chapel of Our Lady of Good Remedy also date from this period.

Frigolet in the 17th and 18th centuries

Interested in religious history in the south of France ?

Then you should know about the "C.E.H.R.M., Centre d'Etude et d'Histoire Religieuse Méridionale". The C.E.H.R.M. is a non-profit organization that brings together university historians and students with impassioned amateurs from all walks of life.

Learn more...